Thursday, February 19, 2009

How to Market Yourself

I'm currently working on a seminar series that will put all the power and expertise of a creative marketing professional with 20 years of experience in the hands of small to medium sized business owners -- at a fraction of the cost.

Why?

Because over and over I have potential clients contacting me who are drawn in by my website (www.sherrilasko.com) or a referral who really want to work with me, love my samples of what I've done for other companies, but don't have the budget. Even more often, they don't have a realistic expectation of what true professional expertise should cost in terms of marketing, design or website. Nor do they know the importance and value these services can bring to their business.

As yet another phone call today testifies to: "we've been in business for 10 years, but getting a professional logo designed has always been on the back burner."

After biting my tongue (and thankful this is a phone call and they can't see the expression of shock on my face), I graciously accept this as commonplace. I wish it weren't so.

As important as your name, your business image conveys -- in an instant -- what level of professional you are, your credibility, whether you know what you are doing, and whether you care enough to attract people who will respect you and take you/your services seriously.

For those thinking of starting a business, image is a crucial part of your business foundation. For those of you who've been in business a while, ask yourself "Can I afford not to look as good as, or better than, my competition?"

No comments: